Sorta feels like the night before Christmas as we wrap-up packing our 6 check-in pieces of luggage (2 additional pieces–$350 each–for the donations of medical supplies, power point projectors and gifts) and our 4 carry-ons; and as we hide away all other items in the house so that our 30-year-old renter can move in next Thursday after we’ve left for our farewell meal with family in Bethlehem before being dropped of at a hotel next to the Philly Airport to which we will be shuttled early early Friday morning in hopes of landing in Lilongwe 23-hours (yeah, right) later, to begin our 35-year-old dream of living, learning and serving those who among the poorest of the world’s poor.
We are extremely grateful for those who have generously graciously donated towards our year of expenses in Malawi; the amount donated to this point is just over 20,000! (towards our projected expenses of $35,000). Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For those wondering about the math of our expenses, here is a quick breakdown:
- $10,000 — Airline travel to and from Malawi
- $7000 — Food & essentials
- $4500 — Rent & Utilities
- $3500 — Tithe to ministries & missions within Malawi
- $2500 — Travel in Malawi
- $2000 — Website
- $1500 — Travel Vaccinations, Visas and Fees
- $1500 — Phones & Internet
- $1000 — Donation and Accounting Services
- $500 — 2 bicycles (yes, I’m planning to bike from Malawi’s northern tip to southern tip in an effort to raise additional monies for specific mission projects in Malawi.
- $500 — Supplies and Gifts to Give to Malawian Support network.
- $500 — Contingency expenses (Malaria medications, unknown unexpected costs)
- Total: $35,000
We sincerely hope more churches will engage with us once we hit the ground and begin sending back updates, stories and videos of the amazing women, men and children we will be getting to know, work with and serve throughout our year in Malawi. If you are connected to a church, please pass along our website as well as our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will also be using WhatsApp: Charles Monts. And finally, our Facebook page: On the Road Again: Malawi, 2023.
See you from Malawi!