In brief outline form:
- Original breakdown of personal costs for our year of volunteer service here in Malawi: $35,000 (see below).
- Donations to date: $25,546 (Thank you all so very much!)
- Donations we’ve accepted and capped for us: $20,000
- All donations, every dollar, beyond this $20,000 has been and will continue to be given to individuals we know personally who are in extreme need–to provide food for their families, pay school fees so they can receive their degree; and to organizations serving the neediest and greatest number of people in and around Nkhoma: the Chaplains and Palliative Home Visit teams of the Hospital; and to Alinafe (see below), a faith-based organization serving some 1800 elderly and handicapped people in 18 villages surrounding Nkhoma.
Donations we’ve passed on to others up to this point: $4600
- $1500: Guest House Renovation Project (to provide accommodations and rental income for the Synod of Nkhoma for years to come)
- $950: Two exceptional young adult students (one at the University and one at the Seminary, with no means of financial support, paying their school fees without which they would have been expelled.
- $700: Transport of two 50lb pieces of luggage filled with medical supplies
- $500: Alinafe Communities of Hope (see above for all they do)
- $400: two power-point projectors we bought & brought with us for the seminary and sister University
- $400: Individuals who needed emergency monies for food & other resources
- $75: Chapel Staff for food they distribute to needy patients
- $75: Palliative Care Home Teams that distribute food & tarps to desperately poor people in small distant poverty-stricken villages
Thank you so very much for your donations!
You would not believe how far $50 or $100 goes in Malawi! (Of course, we can not believe how wide-spread is the extreme poverty and need–it’s everywhere and we can’t possibly change this situation. Nor has the government or the foreign support been able to raise the standard of living and daily wage of 80% of Malawians–the economy is non-existent and is almost exclusively focused on subsistence-living.
With deepest gratitude, we have already raised…
1. What was the breakdown of our expected expenses of $35,000 for our 11 months in Malawi.
- $10,000 – Travel to and return from Malawi
- $7000 — Food and essentials
- $4500 — Rent & Utilities
- $3500 — Tithe to Ministries and Missions within Malawi
- $2500 — Travel within Malawi
- $2000 — Website Server and Support
- $1500 — Travel vaccinations, Visas and fees
- $1500 — Phones & Internet
- $1000 — Donation & Accounting Services
- $500 — Bicycles
- $500 — Supplies and Gifts to Give to Malawian Support Team
- $500 — Contingency Funds (Malaria meds, unknown unexpected expenses)
- Total: $35,000
2. What will individuals, churches, organizations and businesses receive for their donations?
- Weekly Blog News and Updates
- When we return in 2024, we would gladly try to accommodate invitations to visit Churches as part of Mission Conferences or Mission Emphasis Sundays, for Preaching or Minute for Missions during Worship, or for Fellowship-Group Gatherings, telling our stories and experiences in mission in Malawi.
For those who would like to send a personal check it can be made out and mailed to:
First Presbyterian Church of Stroudsburg
P.O. Box 966
575 Main Street
Stroudsburg, PA 18360
Memo: Monts Mission